Opportunity Awaits...

City Office: 515-832-9151 | Utility Office: 515-832-9141

City issues reminder for home projects and garage sales

June 5, 2024

As the warmer weather arrives, it brings a surge in activities like home improvement projects and garage sales. Here are some important considerations to keep in mind during this busy season:

– The City of Webster City has an Encroachment Policy for the planting of trees and flowers in the City right-of-way. It also covers anything that someone may want to place in the City’s right-of-way such as flower pots, table and chairs, mailboxes, etc. In most cases, the right-of-way area is between the curb and the furthest edge of the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk, the right-of-way can be defined by calling the Inspection Department. The right-of-way can vary from street to street (i.e. Beach Street – 17.5 ft., Southfield Drive – 9.5 ft.). If you live on a corner lot, corner visual clearance regulations must be observed. A permit is required. Please call the Inspection Department at 515-832-9151 before placing anything in the City’s right-of-way.
– If you are having a garage sale, remember that the City has placed two bulletin boards for the placement of your signs. One is located in front of City Hall, and one is in the parking lot of Brewer Creek Park. Any private sign (political, garage sale, soliciting, etc.) cannot be placed in the City right-of-way.
– If you are thinking about installing or replacing a fence, please keep in mind that fence regulations affect property differently depending if the lot is an interior lot or a corner lot. Please call the Inspection Department before you begin construction of your fence to make sure you are in compliance. A permit is required.
– If you are planning to place a pool on your property, a depth of 2 or more feet requires a permit. A one-time pool fill reduction in sewer usage is available. Check with the Utility Office at City Hall.
– Parking of vehicles is not allowed in front yards. All vehicles must be parked on a duly authorized driveway.
– Remember to check with the Inspection Department to see if you need a permit for electrical, plumbing, or mechanical work, building, remodeling, fencing, roofing, sheds, swimming pools, driveways, sidewalks, demolition, signs, etc.
– Be sure to call Iowa One Call 1-800-292-8989 before you dig!


Last modified: June 6, 2024

Comments are closed.