A significant figure in the community’s history is Kendall Young, who opened the city’s first bank, and to the surprise of everyone left his entire estate after his death for the establishment and maintenance of a free public library in 1896. The building of the Beaux Arts style library was completed in 1905. It includes columns made of gold marble imported from Africa, terrazzo and mosaic floors, stained glass windows, and a stained glass dome.
In 1984, a fundraising campaign was started to raise money for an addition to the library. The original library was 9,600 sq. ft. and the expansion increased the size to 22,300 sq. ft. The beauty of the original building was maintained and stained-glass windows and terrazzo floors were included in the expansion to enhance the appearance of the seamless addition. Our community is fortunate to have such a beautiful, fully-endowed public library.
For more information on the library, their services, programs and hours, visit their website or follow them on Facebook.